At some point, you may have heard us mention our membership program. But what is it exactly? And how does joining our membership program help you quit drinking?
We are *very* happy to answer these questions for you, so let’s do this!
Ready to join us and learn more?
Not just a newsletter. Join a community of 100,000+ building a life without alcohol. Plus, get a special discount towards membership.
First, the Basics: What is Tempest?
Tempest is a digital recovery program that empowers you to quit drinking and build a life you love. A few important things to keep in mind here are:
- We’re digital. All of our content is available online, which means you can participate in our workshops, lessons, and support group meetings from anywhere with a good internet connection.
- We’re label-optional. We don’t tell anyone that they need to label themselves by a specific term to belong here, because at the end of the day, this journey is yours. You don’t need to identify as anything other than your name in order to join.
- We’re shame-free. We’re here to embrace who you are, where you are right now. Sober, sober-curious, or currently drinking, you’re totally welcome here.
- We’re clinically proven. Members who enrolled in our 4-week Intensive program reported drinking less and feeling better—a 50% reduction in alcohol use disorder (problematic drinking) and a 25% reduction in the severity of anxiety and depression symptoms.
How Tempest Works
Tempest was created by folks with lived experience in recovery. We know what it’s like to google, “Am I an alcoholic?” We know how scary it is to make the decision to quit and the uncertainty that comes with it. We also understand that quitting drinking is a personal process that looks different for everybody.
At Tempest, we work to holistically address the root causes of your drinking. Your mental health, relationships, environment, and identity are all affected by alcohol, and they all matter when you’re quitting drinking. That’s why the Tempest Method uses a combination of education, support, and community to help you build an alcohol-free lifestyle that’s right for you.
Our goal is to give you the education and resources you need to quit drinking. After enrolling in membership, we give you a detailed overview on alcohol addiction: what it is, and the neuroscience behind it. We’ll also work through different ways to break the cycle of addiction through forming new, healthy rituals to replace drinking and tips for how to manage alcohol cravings. We’ll also work with you to build your own sobriety toolbox full of healthy coping mechanisms so you can relax, de-stress, and unwind without a drink.
When you’re trying to quit drinking, being around others who understand what you’re going through can be a game changer. That’s why the folks on our Care Team all have firsthand experience with quitting drinking, and they’re here to help you get the most out of your membership.
Our Care Team creates the lesson content you’ll see throughout our membership platform, and they work together with our guest instructors to bring you live workshops and videos on a range of helpful topics.
You’ll also get to know our Recovery Coaches—they run our daily support group calls, they moderate our online community, and they can help answer any questions you have about our workshops and lessons. They’re also available for one-on-one coaching support (more details below).
It’s so important to have a positive support network when you decide to quit drinking. That’s why Tempest’s community is a place where you can learn, process, and discuss alongside other folks who are changing their relationship with alcohol.
Our Recovery Coaches facilitate the 40+ live support group calls available every week. These calls are a welcoming space to process and share your thoughts, emotions, and experiences relating to quitting drinking. You can celebrate your successes and personal milestones, share whatever’s on your mind, or just sit back and listen to what other folks are saying.
We also have affinity groups where folks in the LGBTQIA+ and BIPOC communities, parents, and people over 50 can come together and discuss their unique experiences and how they relate to their recovery.
We also have a private 24/7 community platform, where you can post and discuss with other folks in the Tempest community.
About Core Membership
Core Membership is our annual membership plan. We call it our “base plan” since you can add other levels of support onto it, but there’s nothing basic about it at all!
Here’s a little bit about how Core Membership can help you work towards an alcohol-free lifestyle:
- You’ll start with Tempest Basics, a 7-day introduction to our foundational philosophy and empowering approach to recovery. This course is self-guided, so you can go at your own pace.
- You’ll get access to new lessons, live workshops, and Q&As every week. We’ll explore topics like managing anxiety, friendships, navigating holidays, and more.
- You’ll also have access to our on-demand Resource Library, where you can check out all of our past lessons and videos.
- You can join, discuss, and share your experiences in the 40+ support group calls we have available every week, as well as in our private online community space.
- We’ll send you daily email affirmations to keep you inspired and motivated.
How much time you spend in Core Membership is up to you. Usually, folks spend about 1-5 hours a week, but all of our live workshops are recorded and you have access to our content for a full year, so you can tune in and watch whenever it works for your schedule!
About Our 4-week Intensive
You can jumpstart your recovery journey with our Intensive program, available to add on to your Core Membership anytime. Our in-depth, 4-week Intensive is the only digital recovery program clinically proven to help you stop drinking. It’s designed to give you the structure and education you need to maintain a sustainable alcohol-free lifestyle.
Here’s how it works:
- Over the course of four weeks, you’ll build a foundation for sobriety with a small group of peers with guidance from our Care Team.
- Each week you’ll have a chance to share in an intimate support group meeting just for folks in our Intensive program, as well as a weekly study group to discuss what you’ve learned.
- We’ll guide you through an overview of the most effective, evidence-based treatment methods.
Each week’s curriculum is set up to help you create a solid foundation in sobriety:
- Week 1 - Building Healthy Habits
- Week 2 - The Science of Addiction
- Week 3 - The Recovery Roadmap
- Week 4 - Staying on Track and What’s Next
The time commitment for the four weeks of Intensive is usually around 5-8 hours a week, which includes the workshops and the support group meetings. But you’ll have access to your Intensive content for a full year, so you can always come back and review when you have more time!
“I love how Tempest talks about topics that come up with sobriety like relationships, values, and boundaries. Creating a life I don't want to escape from is more than not drinking. I love processing the content with like-minded souls. I've learned so much about neuroscience and psychology. It is exciting!"
- Yvonne, Tempest Member
If you’d like an additional layer of personalized support, Accountability Coaching can be incredibly beneficial. Through one-on-one sessions, our Recovery Coaches can help you make small, sustainable changes towards the alcohol-free lifestyle that’s right for you.
You’ll meet with your coach for 30 minutes once a week, for a total of four weeks. Through these sessions, they can help you to identify your recovery goals and stay on track towards achieving them.
Recovery Coaches are also well-versed in helping identify and work through drinking triggers, so it’s a great program to join as you continue on your recovery journey.
Our team has experience and expertise in areas such as:
- Grief and loss
- Disordered eating
- Parenting in recovery
- Issues specific to the LGBTQIA+ community
- Dating and sexuality in recovery
- Issues specific to folks who are over the age of 50
Choosing Your Level of Support
We know we just gave you a lot of info! The good news is that once you join Core Membership, you can add on Intensive or one-on-one Accountability Coaching at any time. So if you haven’t made up your mind just yet, it’s totally ok.
- If you feel ready (or even just ready-ish) to start your alcohol-free journey, we recommend getting started with Core Membership.
- If you know you need some extra support and guidance quitting drinking, we recommend adding our 4-week Intensive program to your Core Membership plan.
- If you’d like to work one-on-one with a coach to achieve your goals, or just figure out what your goals are, we recommend enrolling in the next session of Accountability Coaching. (Available after you enroll in Core Membership.)
How to join Tempest Membership
Now that you’ve done the hard part—deciding to change your relationship with alcohol—enrolling is actually super easy!
- Visit our membership page and choose either Core Membership, or Core Membership + Intensive.
- Choose your payment option. You can pick a monthly* payment plan, or pay all at once to get a discount. (Use this special code to get 50% off your first month: RC50) (*While billed monthly, Tempest Membership is an annual commitment.)
- Start the onboarding process. Learn all about your plan, explore our on-demand library, check out our lessons, and join our live support calls, come say "hi" in our private online community!
We can’t wait to meet you. ❤️
Please note, Tempest is not a detox program. If you are in acute addiction or experiencing symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, you should seek medical attention immediately.
- How to Quit Drinking with Tempest Membership, learn the different ways folks get sober, and how our membership program can help.
- How Tempest is Closing the Gap Between Excessive Drinking and Treatment, we explore why it takes so long to quit drinking, and how Tempest’s evidence-based approach to recovery is helping people get sober.
- The Ultimate List of Resources to Help You Explore Your Relationship with Alcohol, an exhaustive list of resources for anyone who’s looking to quit drinking.
About the Author: Tabitha Vidaurri is the Senior Copywriter at Tempest. As a fellow sober person, she’s incredibly grateful to be able to work for an organization that helps people with addiction recovery in a holistic way. Tabitha worked as a freelance writer in the healthcare space for a number of years, she’s a huge fan of Shirley Jackson, and she’s been doing comedy for over a decade. For more info visit tabithavidaurri.com.